Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Where Else Am I Going to Have an Experience Like That?

So anyway, we had quite the average week. We are all systems go for a baptism this week. Two kids will be getting baptized and will be confirmed member of the true church. I will get to baptize Cristian and my comp will baptize Aixa. I am pretty excited. Two weeks later we should see another baptism, and then there is another guy that will get baptized just as soon as he decides he wants to talk to us. the husband of a member lady has been to church a hundred times, he just doesn't like to be rushed. I'm pretty sure all we are going to have to tell him is that his wife deserves someone she can be with for eternity and stuff like that and he'll be in the water. Another brother needs to stop smoking. He is the son in law of the stake pres in the other stake, and is the only member of the extended family not baptized. He really wants to but is having a lot of trouble. I give him three weeks and he'll have it beat.
It’s a miracle I'm not sick right now. Last night we all went out to a city called Santo Tomé to work in the hermanas area. We were there from about 4:30 to 7:30 and at about 6 is started to pour (rain). It was already really really cold, and once it got wet, my suit seemed to suck the heat out of me, but we kept working as any missionary would do...hoping and praying to get into a house! The bus ride home was pretty fun too. The bus was beyond capacity by about 20 people, so we were all scrunched up in the back of the bus. When else am I going to have an experience like that? I love the mission.
Our ward mission leader picked up some food for our lunch with him on Friday from an Arab restaurant. We ate what the Lord might have eaten in the last supper. Meat and trigo (sorry, forgot the word in English, ask dad), flat bread, garbanzo paste and some weird meat/trigo biscuit things. It was pretty tasty.
A family in our ward has a kid in a Jewish school. He would be learning Hebrew, but he has to focus on learning Spanish first. He got to go to a synagogue the other day and hear the real story of Noah from the torah. Cool huh. I would love to visit a Jewish synagogue, just to see how it is and stuff. I have started to be a lot more interested in Judaism. I can't wait to take a class about it at the Y or something like that. I know of a few, but I'm sure there are millions of things in the Book of Mormon that are common in Jewish culture and writing. Just more proof that Joseph smith was a prophet.
I am currently trying to read the Book of Mormon again before I get home. I kind of have a vision of finishing it on the plane right before landing. But anyway, I'm in Alma, and a verse from chapter 31 stuck out in my mind. I think it’s the last verse in the chapter, but it is talking about the sons of Mosiah and Alma and their compañions and how their trials were consumed in the joy of Christ, which I guess can mean the atonement. The part I liked was the fact that because they were on the Lord's errand, doesn't mean they didn't have trials and afflictions. Their afflictions were bearable, even unimportant, because of the hope that they had in the atonement. That all of the injustices and otherwise unfair things that happen will all be made right. They certainly had quite a few trials and afflictions, much more than I have had to face in my mission, but their joy is that much greater. Anyway, just thought I would share.
Anyway, that’s about all I can think of. I should have some interesting pictures for next week though. I'll see if I can get some off today. Just know that I love you all and love hearing from you every week, even when I don't hear from some of you....just kiddin...
The church is true and we have a prophet. The Book of Mormon is the word of God. Jesus Christ is our Savior.
Elder Rau

No comments: